Bonjour chérie


...You're now inside the world of the optimistic


...So explore, feel free to read and interact

...Thanks. Have a great day!


Mystified by the Mystic Isle

...A full narration of my acquaintance with the island of fire


It was Saturday, 5:30am when I woke up from an overnight in the publication office. At 6:30, I went out of the school and upon reaching the boarding house, drank coffee and after, washed five pieces of my clothes. I then took a bath to attend my 8:00am-1:00pm major classes, but it was just a wasted effort going upstairs of CTE building (3rd floor) because there was actually no class. Only me among all my classmates didn't know that Sir is not coming.

While going downstairs, I remember my paryente (boardmate) who was returning to Siquijor to attend her mother’s birthday. There have been many times that he invited me to go to their place because his parents wanted to see me, but because of financial difficulty, I think I can’t make it. But not this time, it was so timely that I received my honorarium and we have no class. I left an amount of P360 which is enough for the back and forth fair.

But when I returned home, he is already at the port. So I immediately packed my things up, and followed him at Terminal 2 because I was really very eager to go. There we met, bought ticket for Delta fast craft.

Excitement and panic at the pier

When we were about to get inside the passengers’ cabin, unluckily, my ticket held by paryente was blown by the wind and it fell to the water. Yes, I’m not joking, it did fell to the sea. I got panic, while paryente was just laughing as if it was not a big deal. We called the personnel and they helped us get the ticket back, through the use of fish net. Thank God, it was saved! I thought my craze for Siquijor will end there.

We departed at 10:30am, I sat on 13A seat. My seatmates were all new to my site. Of course, I kept my eyes open of the actions of Siquijodnons. I didn’t sleep the whole trip, and it took one hour before we reached the port of Siquijor.

White sands along the coastline welcomed us. Walking a few miles, pedicab drivers went rushing to invite passengers to ride in their vehicles. Paryente chose the driver whom he knew, and we ride for a half hour to reach Helen, Larena where he and his family reside.

The welcoming relatives

Since I am confident, I did not feel ashamed in entering their house. Who greeted me first was his nephew who became my all time buddy while staying there. Of course, to show one of the best Filipino attitudes and a sign of respect, “nag-mano po ako” to his parents.

I sensed that his parents were glad seeing me. We talked a lot about La Libertad, and I asked many things concerning Siquijor. His parents made me feel that I’m part of the family. They always told me, “dili pwede mag-ulaw2x diri”, that’s why I didn’t feel any shame and fear. They were accommodating.

I never expected that with that visit, I will also know my other relatives in Larena. I then discovered that many La Libertadnons married Siquijodnons that’s why they settle in that place.

Of course, I did not miss the chance of knowing them so I went to their houses, introduced my self, and had an IPR (Inter-Personal Relationship) with them, ahw! All of them were very welcoming, even the neighbors.

My solid playmate

On that visit, I did have my avid playmate, the 3-year old nephew of paryente. We went up and down the mountain; and rest in the nipa hut after every “roaming” session. Then we watched movies, ate fruits, and play again. He was like a real brother to me, and I won’t forget him ever.

The unpaid island experience

The second day was the best and luckiest of my short time vacation in Siquijor. Never did I expect that ante and uncle were planning to tour me around the island. We started the island hopping at 12:45 noon, riding in the motorbike with my board mate and my other relative.

First destination was the St. Francis de Assisi Bell Tower & Convent in the town of Siquijor. It is situated near the pier which opens the grand entrance of guests and travelers. The church has its own watch or bell tower, with an exquisite interior design, and preserved identity.


We passed through Dastrum Guest House, the Provincial Hospital in Pangi, La Gardenia Resort and Restaurant, St. Francis High School, Bohol Institute of Technology (BIT)-International School, Quezon Memorial Institute of Siquijor, the public market, and the striking Capitol Building with busy environment preparing for the “Araw ng Siquijor” this September 17.



Next stop was San Juan’s Capilay Spring which is now converted into a public pool and park. The town’s Catholic Church, Municipal Building and Rizal Monument are at a distance.


We also went to the old century balete tree, the biggest and oldest tree in Siquijor, and a part of the tourist spots of the province. A pond is placed in front of the tree. In our road trip, we passed through the Hambilica Sea View & Cottages, Czar’s Place (inn), Paraiso Siquijor Beach Resort, and Coco Grove Beach & Diving Resort. One thing I discovered about San Juan is its red soils which are rare. Aside from that, the place has a well constructed road forming “S”. But we experienced an over-heat of engine while we were in Cangmunang. Luckily, we found a small gasoline station in the next barangay.


Third target was the St. Isidore Labradore Church & Convent, the biggest and oldest convent in Asia. It is situated in the southern tip of the island, Lazi.


It was the 13th of the month so we lighted candle and prayed inside the church. It was also timely that two opposite basketball teams, Siquijor and Maria played in the town gym, so we watched. I was really amazed with the announcer, he speaks with emotion, and it adds action and energy to the game.


Fourth stop was Salagdoong Beach of Maria, in the eastern part of the island.


Salagdoong Forest will show you the way to going to the beach. When we reached there, wow! it was really a nice beach, with white sand, crystal clear water, and calm environment surrounded with scenic limestones and outgrowths of molave trees. Aside from its amazing scenery, it’s also very cheap cause we only paid P15 for the entrance. Hotel Agripino and Sammy's pizza & resto are also there to accommodate and cater the needs of guests. While staying at the cottage above the rocks, you will see the view of the whole island.

We also went to the center of the town where another old church in the island, Sta. Maria Church and Ave Maria Academy are found.


Next was Enrique Villanueva or "Talingting" as they commonly call it, the most peaceful and quite town of Siquijor. In their shores, you will be amazed with the white sands they have, but the most striking and unique feature of the place is the town's gym which is made of wood. The roads there are still under construction because it was ruined by a typhoon. I've observed that fishing is the main livelihood of people.


We went inside their small yet modern style church, which is fully in tiles and chairs were varnished. But despite the land area, they still have beaches like Hard Rock Cottages and Restaurant, Islander's Paradise Beach Resort, and a lot more.

Final on the list is Larena, where the Siquijor State College is located, which as my eyes suggest, is wider than the university where I am studying now. In one of the school's lounge was a television set for students' learning, cool! It's open even on Sundays.


Another attraction of the place is the protected Sandugan Marine Sanctuary filled with mangroves. Of course, as another big and developed town in Siquijor, Larena has lot of beaches to offer like Charisma Beach Resort & Restaurant, and I forgot the name of the others. We also went inside the town's Catholic church and the St. Vincent Academy, where you could see the old bell preserved inside the campus. Then we roamed around the town.

When we reached home, my playmate already went to their abode too, in Basak, Maria because his parents get him back. I then learned that it's only during weekends that the boy go to his grandparent's house.

The sad goodbye

On Monday, I woke up at 4:20am to catch the first trip of the small ferry because my paryente has class at 9:00am. We ate breakfast as early as 5:00am, bid goodbye and thank you to the family who accepted me for two days in my life exploring and uncle sent us to Larena port. Delta departed at 5:30am, went to get its other passengers in the next town. It stayed in Siquijor for half-hour and then headed to the direction going back to Dumaguete. I sitted near the window and I watched the island as it slowly fades from the distance, away from me.

The final say

Well, what can I say anyway?... Siquijor is an island filled with mystery. Though it's only small, if you happen to visit the place, you'll probably witness how rich it is and how friendly is the environment surrounded with Siquijodnons.


Siquijor is a peaceful haven for confused minds and a perfect place for the broken-hearted. The mystery of the island lies in the island itself and in its people.

Now that I've come back to the city, every time I sit in the boulevard, I can see from a far the dim view of the place. It was the island which gave lots of questions to me and until now, are not yet answered. But there is one thing I want to clarify, Siquijor is not the land of witchcraft. The culture from a certain place called "San Antonio" is just different from what we used to adapt. Hence, we need to respect them and not be too judgmental to say anything against or agreeing to them. The island which looks like the shape of a mushroom on the side will live forever.

As what Douglas McArthur said, this is also what I wanted to tell Siquijor...

"I shall return!" Therefore, wait for my come back.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

8 chikaDORAs:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Awesome website, I had not come across optimisticdora.blogspot.com previously during my searches!
Carry on the good work!

Anonymous said...

Awesome site I enjoyed reading your information

[url=http://partyopedia.com]birthday party supplies[/url]

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this link, but unfortunately it seems to be down... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at optimisticdora.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Charlie

Anonymous said...

Wow neat! This is a really great site! I am wondering if anyone else has come across something
exactly the same in the past? Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It's very exiting to find this optimisticdora.blogspot.com blog.
I have to say that it's a striking blog! I like how determined each of the entries are. They are well balanced, both informational and funny, and the pictures are cool too.