Bonjour chérie


...You're now inside the world of the optimistic


...So explore, feel free to read and interact

...Thanks. Have a great day!


Accidentally


“If this is fate, then I accept it.”

Teaching was never part of my plan. I never aimed of becoming an educator despite the fact that papa has taught TLE subject at St. Francis School-La Libertad before and with mama who is currently teaching in Guihob Elementary School, a rural school in our place. But I was brought to this profession by fate.

Tuesday afternoon of July 26 this year, boredom hit so Auntie Cita, my colleague in one of the city government offices invited me to go with her to visit a friend at Cebu Eastern College (CEC). When we arrived at the mentioned school, I never expected that the friend she meant is the principal of the school. He’s not only Auntie Cita’s friend, but her best friend. We had good chitchat until we arrived at this topic about a high school English teacher who is resigning, for the latter will transfer to a public school. Because I’m a Mass Com graduate, the principal thought that I could also teach English, “so why not try to demo tomorrow?” he suggested.

I smiled, and though I already have a little knowledge on what a demo is, but I don’t know how to execute it yet. But still I replied, “Okay, I will try sir!” words filled with optimism and confidence. I asked what topic am I going to discuss, and also get some tips, advices, and techniques from him. “You should master your craft,” this challenged me the most as I got a “yes” response from the principal when I asked if the students in their school are very inquisitive.

I didn’t have money that time so I borrowed P50 from Auntie Cita, and bought “cartolina”, pentel pen and scotch tape. I only spent less than P15 because I chose the cheapest materials, thinking that it is only good for one usage and purpose.

The topic assigned to me was “The Active and Passive Voice” which I already forget. Good that I have photocopied few pages from their book about the lesson. Even though I hate making visual aids, but still I made because that’s part of a demonstration. There was no color, no styles, nothing new and interesting about my material, the same as with the visual aids I made when I was still in high school and college. But that “cartolina” was very special (that I’m still keeping it now) because it served as a witness to the first teaching demonstration in my life.

And Wednesday came. I was scheduled for an 8:50-9:30 AM demo at the third year Amethyst section. I was almost late for I was looking for the English coordinator, the one who will observe and critic my presentation.

When I got inside the classroom, I told one of the students that “I’m nervous,” as I asked him to paste the cartolina in front. The scotch tape I bought could not hold the material so Ma’am Beth, the English coordinator sent a student to get a stronger tape at the faculty room. Still, I continued my discussion.

At the end, there were no questions from the students. I supposed they have understood, or maybe, they never understood and they were only ashamed to ask me. I didn’t know about how they feel when I was standing, talking and discussing in front of them, but what I’m sure of with is that, I’ve delivered my piece to the best of my ability.

I was relieved after the demo and stayed for a while, waiting for the decision. Then Ma’am Beth told me that if she were to decide, I have already passed, but she still needs to consult the principal and the students about their observation on me and how they will rate me.

According to the English coordinator, the students like me (daw) and “ako na jud" (daw). And who wouldn’t be happy with those compliments? Later, she told me that I can start tomorrow as an official replacement to the resigning English teacher. At first, I doubted and asked myself, “Did I really pass?” I can’t believe I became qualified. During the demo, I just (acted) as if reporting in college, in front of my classmates.

According to Ma’am Beth, with a limited time of preparation, she was impressed because I was able to deliver it, and considering that I’m not an Education graduate. Wow, I heard that straight from the coordinator’s mouth. Wow, that was a compliment that gave me more confidence. Then I talked with the principal, the other teachers, and students.

On the 26th of July was my first day in teaching. I marked that day very special. I met all the sections— second year (Emerald and Sapphire) and third year (Garnet and Amethyst). I introduced my name (they also did) and presented some of my rules.

Indescribable was my feeling when the first day of teaching in my life ended. A rain of happiness came my way, and I felt fulfilled. Only now that I realized that teaching is rewarding, that teaching is the best profession a person could have. You share what you know and you receive a smile which says, “thank you” from your students. I salute all the teachers with that!

Now, I’m on my 4th week of teaching here in CEC. I know this is an experience that could never be paid nor replaced by any other things, so I will treasure everyday of my stay here.

I know I won’t stay here for a long time as more than half of my brain pushes me to go back to the government so I can use my civil service eligibility. But though I’ve already planned for that, I’m still proud to say that “teaching is the noblest job” because I have proved it.

I love all my students. Yes, I’m saying this from the heart. Despite the exhausting day, still you find yourself smiling and feeling fulfilled because of your students. But to my students, forgive me when I say, “This is my first and last year in teaching. CEC will be my first and last school.” On the next episodes of my life, only God knows. Whether he will let me stay here or not, only His will prevail.


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

3 chikaDORAs:

Anonymous said...

Nice kaayo dai!!

Anonymous said...

Life is good when some authors like post their articles!

Albert Einstein☺ said...

i am following you right now.. hope you follow me too. ♪

here's my url: mr837.blogspot.com