Bonjour chérie


...You're now inside the world of the optimistic


...So explore, feel free to read and interact

...Thanks. Have a great day!


Be humbly proud of thy self

“Wala’y butol sa tawu’ng magtuon.”

Some people asked me if how is the feeling of being one of the Latin awardees, of being a Magna Cum Laude in particular.

“Very happy!” I expressively said. Who wouldn’t be happy with that? Out of the thousands of graduates, being one of the top graduates is a major, major blessing.

Before, I believed Cum Laude, Magna and Suma are very difficult to attain. But that was four to eight years ago, when I was still enjoying my secondary years.

I thought I was only enough with the salutatory and dean’s list awards, but not anymore when I’ve come to realize and confidently say that, “Sayun raman diay, pwera nalang sa Suma.” Yes, Magna is as easy as maintaining a grade 85 and above in all subjects, and gaining a GPA (General Percentage Average) of 90 and above.

I said so because if you give your heart to your lessons even though you do not like the teacher, then you will end up with an award. Love to your studies convoyed with effort and dedication, giving all the best that lies within you, then you will march with flying colors.

I know, a lot of temptations will try to pull you into the hands of the devil , but I tell you, don’t be deceived by these material pleasures, whether your friends have tried and recommended it to you, or whether they want you to be part of the first attempt.

Remember, you are sent to study so take your lessons as your priority, not your addictions. Love life is part as sign of maturity and affection to others, but weigh things and wisely decide on what is more important.

But while focusing on your studies, don’t forget about your social environment. Set aside a time for leisure and fun either with your hobby/interest or with your friends.

If you’d ask me, I was not a perfectly “good and obedient” student in college. Yes, I was sometimes (was it sometimes?) “buluyagon”. If I don’t like that thing or person, I won’t just say words, but rather instantly turned my back. And yes, I was oftentimes invited for a special meeting and reprimanding sessions by the dean, the VP for Academic Affairs, by some teachers and staff of the university because of my attitude. Another reason is being a member of the student publication.

But the top asset that I am most proud of with is my attitude of being friendly. I was not like this when I was in my early childhood days, elementary and high school years, only now when I am living away from my parents and learning to be independent. Yes, I can prove to you that I can easily make friends (with people having different attitudes) through the use of my “bingka” powers. And that’s the reason why they call me “Bingkadora”.

There is also one thing that I’m glad to have developed as I grow older—I’ve slowly diminished my shyness. Now, I can do hosting, singing, conversing with people, and do other things. Yes, college trained me this, my course did. I’ve gained self-confidence when I was high school, but that was not enough.

But I’d like to leave these pieces of advice to all my fellow students…

“Believe in yourself. Don’t be arrogant if you achieve something—small or big it may be. Treat everyone equally and share your knowledge to anyone who needs it. Prioritize your studies than your extra duties, but don’t sacrifice your socialization.”

Now, I’m floating in happiness because for the last time in my life as a student, I made my parents proud and I’ve continued raising the banner of my family. But this I will not attain without the guidance of the Lord who continually shows me the path going to the right direction. Thank you so much Father. I love you though I can’t see you.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

3 chikaDORAs:

Jessie Dolia said...

Te Dora, I am extremely proud of you. The distinctions and recognitions you have enjoyed right now are just few of many reasons on why I should be inspired. Achieving such award is very hard, but you did it, you have proven to us that the negative perceptions in attaining those things were wrongs indeed. I am inspired of your achievements. And I fervently hoping to also acquire those honors. Thank you for inspiring me not in words but in actions. You may not see how I admire you of being diligent in your studies but within my heart I consider it as an inspirations! Continue to be of what you are now, remain humble as you are! I am just one of the many students who look up unto you!! CONGRATULATIONS!

jessie said...

Te Dora, I am extremely proud of you. The distinctions and recognitions you have enjoyed right now are just few of many reasons on why I should be inspired. Achieving such award is very hard, but you did it, you have proven to us that the negative perceptions in attaining those things were wrongs indeed. I am inspired of your achievements. And I fervently hoping to also acquire those honors. Thank you for inspiring me not in words but in actions. You may not see how I admire you of being diligent in your studies but within my heart I consider it as an inspirations! Continue to be of what you are now, remain humble as you are! I am just one of the many students who look up unto you!! CONGRATULATIONS!

optimistic dora said...

thank u also jes for looking up to me as an inspiration. i'm very happy that i have positively brought a good influence to others, like you jes. i appreciate your words and actions until the very last days of my stay here in NORSU, especially in TN where we met.

I do hope that you will also graduate with an award jes, so u can make your parents proud. i tell you now, i will be very proud too if you get an award.

God bless you Jes. I believe in ur potential. I know those students who are bombarded with hardships will succeed in the end.